|Museum of Navarra||Santo Domingo s/n - 31001 (Pamplona)||Telephone Offices: 848 426492 / 848 426493 |
Telephone Ticket office: 848 428926
Based on a project by José Yárnoz, the museum was built on the site of the former Hospital of Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia (Our Lady of Mercy), of which the 16th century gateway and chapel have been preserved. The museum was subsequently renovated by architects Garcés and Soria and re-inaugurated in 1990. It houses some interesting archaeological and artistic collections relating to the past and present of the Autonomous Community of Navarre. The most outstanding archaeological exhibits include the Roman exhibits (mosaics and inscriptions), Arabic (the exceptional Hispano – Arabic small chest made from marble from Leire and worked at the Medina – Zahara shop (1005) and Romanesque (capitals of the early Pamplona Cathedral).
Another eye-catching display is the collection of Gothic mural paintings (Painting of the Pamplona Cathedral Refectory, by Juan Oliver) in addition to the Renaissance Grisailles on the Saxony War waged by the emperor Charles V, originally located at the Palace of Oriz, and the series of Baroque paintings depicting the story of Adam and Eve by the Flemish artist Jacob Bouttats. The collection is completed with religious carvings (St Jerónimo, by Ancheta), altar pieces (the Renaissance altarpiece brought from the town of Burlada, painted by Juan del Bosque) and silverware (Gothic chalice by Fernando de Sepúlveda, donated by Charles III the Noble to Santuario de Ujué). Also on display are the extraordinary portrait of the Marques de San Adrian (painted by Francisco de Goya) and the portrait of Moratín (the work of Luis Paret).