Laconic, sober, almost monastic, the Baluarte rises from the edge of the city's first extension, where the ramparts were torn down in the late 19th century, adjacent to the defensive citadel which was begun in 1571, during Felipe II's reign. The building takes the shape of an L, free of edges or ornaments, sheltering from traffic an immense access square which adjoins the Parliament of Navarre.
Invisible yet present, harmonious yet airtight, modern yet classic, Patxi Mangado's project satisfies the longing of the most curious: more than generate closed contexts, or better yet, more than solving enigmas, it raises curiosity from silent walls that surround the echo of instruments and voices.
Main Hall and Chamber Hall
The auditoriums welcome artists in the evenings and lectures and large audience events during the day. With 1,568 and 444 seats respectively, they are very suitable facilities for large meetings.
On its third floor BALUARTE has views over the Citadel and the plaza through large windows in the lobby and corridors.
The versatility of the Ciudadela y Luneta halls, specifically designed for meetings and congresses, means that they can be arranged in different layouts through modular panels. The two halls are separated by the third floor lobby.
There are three small rooms on level -1 (basement): Gola, Corona and Bulevar. Access is from the street or the lobby. These rooms are used for conferences and breakout sessions in congresses. Two of them have fixed seats and the third is an open space.
The Press Room is specially adapted for press conferences and as a work room for the media.